SENsible SENCO as a company
For transparency, I wanted to ensure that my own business (SENDCOSolutions) and SENsible SENCO do not get muddled with each other.
When I set out to generate the SENsible SENCO support group and this website for sharing resources, I knew I would need to cover my costs. So, I approached companies to sponsor the pages. In the process, I’ve ended up with more money coming in that it actually takes to sort out the website…and more offers and opportunities being cast our way. Anyone who knows the SENsible SENCO will know she isn’t in it for the money…so would rather put it to good use. They will also know that she has some great ideas but can’t always get them off the ground without a little bit of help…
(Registered Company Number: 13468734)
To support students with special educational needs or disabilities, in need, in any part of the UK, where they require additional SEN equipment to support their education by providing funding grants (part or full) to the parent, student or school.
How will it work?
Each academic term there will be a round of funding applications/bids.
A funding bid can be made by school on behalf of a student. Parental/student permission must be obtained. No bids can be accepted from parents/students directly.
* Funding pots have a finite value which will not be exceeded.
* In the interest of fairness only one funding bid (against one child) will be accepted in each academic term.
* Where schools are placing the bid they must ensure that other sources of suitable funding have been explored.
* Successful application will be notified by email (school addresses) and payment made into the nominated bank account.
* Receipts for the purchase of the funded item must be received within 6 weeks of the funds being provided.
What can we bid for?
Small items, low cost items, that cannot be funded from elsewhere.
This is not a finite list, but gives you some idea of the types of bids we are expecting…
* ear defenders
* pencil grips/special pens
* writing wedges
* exercise books/paper
* fidget focus items
* Specific books to support children/families with understanding (a list of approved titles will be available)
* wobble boards/cushions
* tension bands
* It is not expected that any individual bid will be in excess of £50 in the first instance…as the business grows we may be able to offer larger or more frequent grants.
Why not a charity?
I’m working on it!
The process of setting up a company is fairly straightforward and allows me a little more flexibility in the early days.
The process of becoming a charity is considerably more convoluted requiring trustees (do you want to volunteer?) and scrutiny by many more bodies. Whilst a company can be created in 48 hours, a charity is likely to take 3-4 months.
Whilst that is all taking place, the company will run the activities of the charity and put everything in place.
Who will be involved?
I’m optimistic that the number of requests coming in will exceed the funding available.
SENSible SENCO (AKA Abigail Hawkins) will screen all bids for their completion and appropriateness. If this still exceeds the value then there will be a voluntary team of at least 3 individuals made up of SENCOs, members of the public and businesses who will ‘rank’ the bids individually. Based on this a final rank order will be decided and SENsible SENCO will make any binding decisions.
Incomplete bids are unlikely to make it through the process – however in the interest of making it quick and simple, it may be necessary to contact some schools for further information.
Where multiple bids are received for similar items, it might be more cost effective for SENsible SENCO to purchase on behalf of the schools. There will be an option on the application form to opt out of this (if you want a specific brand) but this may mean you miss out.
Any “failed” bids will be given a code that indicates why (eg, insufficient funding, incomplete application, not eligible, should be sourced from school/health funding, school has received prior funding). Before resubmitting to the next round please correct the issue indicated. Those falling into the insufficient funding category will not be automatically carried over. You can make the same bid 3 times.
Are currently closed…
Once they open, all applications and paperwork will be available on this page
Join the Revolution
I just left that text there because it was already on the page!
Would you like to help the Company?
The funding is currently coming from activities that SENsible SENCO undertakes outside of her own business interests, the sponsorship of these pages and the Google adverts between screens.
Those funds are used to pay all the website costs (not staffing time). Anything in excess of those costs are considered profit and used for the company in the form of the funding bids.
If you’d like to help…
* Businesses – consider sponsoring pages or requesting a written review. Once we achieve charity status you will also be able to make ‘donations’ directly from your company.
* Individuals – consider donating via our donations link. If you enjoy the support your receive, make good use of the resources provided, then please consider making a small donation.